Sunday, August 5, 2012

Gaining Wings

     Today was the day! I had had little sleep due to the rampant emotions within and I was terribly excited to arrive early at the airport. I would fly from Charlotte to Chicago, then from Chicago to Beijing. I had never flown before so mixed emotions boiled within my stomach. I have a slight claustrophobia and when it's activated, I can be a true mess. Yet, at the same time, I have been wanting to fly for such a long time! I've literally dreamt about flying and today was the day I would actually gain my wings.
     I was worried about security checks, and wondered whether my suitcase would be overweight or oversized but there were no tricks. Everything was a smooth ride.
     By the time final goodbyes were said, I was bouncing on my heels by the mixture of excitement and nerves. Would flying make me sick? Would the plane be too small? If I don't make it on the first flight, how will I survive a twelve hour flight from Chicago to Charlotte? Needless to say, my mind was racing. 
     I have always tended to be the shyer, more reserved person in life. (Until you put me in a leadership position or you break my shell). So I stayed quiet to myself, writing in my little eco-friendly journal while everyone socialized and took photos and such while waiting for our plane.
     All too soon, we boarded the plane to Chicago. The plane was dirty and quite small. There were two seats on the right and one seat on the left and a very narrow aisle. Thankfully, claustrophobia wasn't gripping me. I had taken some homeopathic leg-cramp prevention tablets before boarding and I believe it helped.
     I sat on an aisle seat with a girl who had been flying practically her entire life. She informed me on the planes procedures and comparing this plane to other ones she has flown in.
     When the plane finally took off, I had the largest grin on my face. It was quite embarrassing, actually. Utterly fascinated, I gazed out the window, watching land, vehicles, and buildings slowly diminish behind clouds.
     Now the clouds were truly "cotton candy." I found myself visualizing myself out there, jumping amidst the clouds, sleeping within them, et cetera. Call it what you may, but my imagination was thoroughly prodded with this new scene.
     And the entire time I gazed out the window, the phrase "Cotton clouds of lullaby" from Evanescence's Imaginary rebounded within my mind. So true, so very true.
     After a short nap, I realized to my discomfort that I had to use the restroom. I have terrible balance and we were on a PLANE. Sighing, I knew this would not end well(this is one of many restroom stories on this trip). And I rose, to walk to the back of the plane, gripping seats to keep my balance.
     Once I made it (without falling!) to the tiny little restroom cabinet, I realized two things: No light. And no toilet paper. I cracked the door open, hoping to find a light switch. If I had light, I am sure toilet paper would also show up. But to my dismay, there was no light switch. I closed the door, feeling incredibly awkward as I swayed to the plane's movements, waiting for my eyes to adjust to the darkness. And there was toilet paper, ironically in front of my face! I gritted me teeth and did my business--in the dark. In a sentence: Gravity is NOT your friend.

     Landing was not nearly as enthralling as taking off, but I was excited. We had landed in the Chicago airport and that was just one step away from China.




The Charlotte Delegation


No comments:

Post a Comment